Alpine Summit

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Hearing the Message

There is a Kuwaiti officer in my class here at Fort Lee and he loaned me a copy of "The Message" as we've had on-going discussions about Islam. I must say that despite the movie being as long as "The Stand," it wasn't a bad film (neither was "The Stand").

When he gave me the DVD, he said "this is what Islam is really about," presumably because my own view toward the religion is not that high. I enjoyed how the movie covered every main aspect about Islam including the duplicity of Mohammed's message and actions.

The movie begins with a few text slides to set up the scene of 5th century Arabia. In addition, the movie also mentions that Mohammed will not be pictured or heard to "preserve the spiritual message." I found that interesting later on as I will point out in a moment.

When Mohammed began Islam, Arabia was full of different idol gods and the leaders of Mecca (home of Abraham's house) were corrupt and more concerned with making money than finding Truth.

As Islam starts to pick up as a subversive religion in the area, the leaders try to suppress it because of its ideas of equality and peace ("killing one man is like killing all of mankind" and "there are no races in Islam"). This is why I found it interesting how later in the movie, Mohammed said that if you are being persecuted, you are allowed to go to war with your persecutors. So Mohammed raised an army and made war on the Meccans and eventually take over Mecca and all of the middle east.

My memory isn't always "up to snuff," but my memory fails when I try to think bout Jesus' army he raised to take over by force any city for, or even to simply defend, Christianity. If fact, I'm positive there are several instances where he actually admonished people for using force for any reason to preserve or compel their belief in Christianity.

Mohammed's message, according to Muslims when speaking to Christians, only confirms Jesus' message. This claim is ludicrous by "The Message's" own admission showing scenes of Mohammed's sword slaying those who persecute him and his people.

One line I thought was interesting was when the Muslims were making their case to the leader of Medina. The leader (a Christian) says "the line between you and me is this thin" drawing a line in the sand and welcomes them to stay under Medina's protection. I thought to myself that when you're talking about God and Truth, any line distinguishes "true" from "false" and its thinness is irrelevant.

Speaking of Islam, I saw on the news today about Iraqi Christians in the Kurdish area and mentioned something that troubled me: they don't evangelize to their Muslim neighbors because it has historically sparked Muslim/Christian wars. Now isn't that interesting that simply witnessing to Muslims in Iraq leads to physical conflict? Perhaps it's because Muslims are worried about what might happen if they turn from Islam.

|