Alpine Summit

Saturday, October 07, 2006

The Latest from Riordan St.

So I haven't updated on my OCS adventure and as promised, here is what I have been up to lately. We recently had our first field exercise, which was actually our second time in the field. We learned various squad tactics like ambushes, assaulting a bunker, breaking contact and other things of that nature. I'm typically not a fan of going in the field considering it means a lot of sweating and rancid port-o-johns. Luckily, the weather was cooler than usual and I was actually cold in the evenings and barely sweat during the day. That coupled with our platoon having about 6 port-o-johns to ourselves, was nice and made the experience much more enjoyable.

One of the more notable moments was when my battle buddy for the exercise and I were manning one of the perimeter corners of our patrol base where the 240B was placed. For those who haven't been around this particular weapon, it's quite loud. So we heard some rustling in the woods and our standard operating procedure was to call for anyone approaching to halt and then shoot. So we hear rustling and called "halt" but still heard rustling so my partner in crime opened up with this thing and woke up not only our platoon, but several people from other platoons who were actually quite a ways away. It was pretty funny and it pissed off a bunch of people. Oh well.

In other news, we just went to senior phase which means additional privileges such as walking ourselves to chow and wearing "civilian" clothes after we're done for the day. As I gain more of the freedoms and luxuries I enjoyed as a civilian, my regrets for joining the Army decrease. For the most part, my only regret is being so far from my girlfriend and my family still.

We have a potential recycle in our platoon who utterly failed at being the platoon sergeant this week. He has already been recycled twice and just cannot seem to grasp the fact that he needs to tell people when and how to jump. He's absolutely paralyzed without direct instruction. I'm not sure what is going to happen to him now, but things aren't looking good for him--that much I'm sure about.

Finally, this weekend is a 4-day weekend and I am in Atlanta visiting my friend from when I lived in Florida back in the late 80's. I'm really happy with the change in scenery and love that I'm nowhere near Ft. Benning. Today I found out my friend from high school is also in Atlanta because he just had a kid. A pleasant surprise to say the least. I am going to to go have lunch with him after church on Sunday and see his new bundle of joy. Monday morning, I have to go back to Ft. Benning and get ready for another several weeks of work.

Until next time, I will keep trying to update on items of interest as they occur.

|