Alpine Summit

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

What Would DaVinci Do?

Well the controversy has begun. "The DaVinci Code" comes out on Friday and people are already calling for the (figurative) heads of those involved with the movie. I'm sure if the movie involved Mohammed, someone would be dead by now. Anyway, I was reading this article and thought what Tom Hanks said to be very interesting.

"This is not a documentary. This is not something that is pulled up and says 'These are the facts and this is exactly what happened.' ... People who think things are true might be more dangerous than people who ponder the possibilities that maybe they are and maybe they aren't."


I like this quote because it reminded me of Silas from the story. The story and its contents are, of course, not true; but Silas, Dan Brown's villain personifies many hard-liners on both sides. The Opus Dei member cared more about supporting what he decided was true than finding the truth. Just like Silas, there are people in real life more concerned with trying to say Christianity is wrong than looking for the truth. Dan Brown, when I read "The DaVinci Code," caused me to despise Silas because he was more interested in propping up what he believed despite any evidence to the contrary. The story puts this level of ignorance on the Christian, but it can just as easily be applied to many non-Christians who simply hate the Christian faith. Which brings me to Ian McKellan's recent comments on the Bible.

"Well, I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying this is fiction. I mean, walking on water, it takes an act of faith. And I have faith in this movie. Not that it's true, not that it's factual, but that it's a jolly good story. And I think audiences are clever enough and bright enough to separate out fact and fiction, and discuss the thing after they've seen it."


His comments were meant to be a slam on Christianity and the Bible. What separates "The DaVinci Code" and the Bible from each other is that Dan Brown's book is a work of fiction. The Bible never makes claims to being fiction. In fact, it says "this is what happened." Just because Ian McKellan doesn't believe the Bible to be true, does not make the Bible untrue. Sure it takes faith to believe Jesus walked on water; but that doesn't mean he didn't. Nobody alive today was there to say one way or the other, and there is no way to prove he did other than taking the Bible at it's word. This is just yet another example of people like Silas who say "anything contrary to what I've decided is true, is not true." It is a very ignorant position to take and something I would expect a homosexual, who doesn't like being told his sexual decisions are immoral, to say.

I for one am excited about the movie despite the initial salvo of bad reviews. It should be a fun adventure full of thrills and hopefully cause people to look into the claims of the movie a little deeper for themselves. I know this book really sparked my interest in apologetics and knowing what the truth about Christianity is. I hope it has the same effect on others.

|