Alpine Summit

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Here Comes the Bride

I went to a wedding for my friend from high school yesterday in Ft. Collins. It was a great service and I'm happy to see she found someone that makes her happy. After having not heard from my friend in over year and a half, I was a little shocked to get an invitation. I went anyway, and I'm glad I did.

The wedding was held at a Lutheran church in Ft. Collins. The service consisted of 3 bible verse readings: Gen 2: 18-24, 1 Cor 13: 4-7, 13, and John 15: 9-12. Each one dealt with marriage (duh) and what I especially liked was the pastor's pointing out that this is the type of relationship we should have with God. We are His bride, and He is our bridegroom.

Weddings are always joyous occasions where we celebrate the union of two people in a sacred bond. Where two hearts promise themselves to each other for the rest of their lives. At the reception, the maid of honor's toast included this line: "I hope this is the day you both look back on and say it was the day you loved each other the least." I really liked that because it's so true for Christians. Everyday we should grow in God's love in the same way. We should be able to look back and say that the day of our conversion was the day we loved God the least.

When we commit ourselves to Christ, we are "marrying" Him. Our efforts from that point on are not our own, but done with Him in mind the same way a married couple are no longer doing things for themselves, but for each other. I had never realized how Christian marriages are very symbolic of the relationship God wants with us before, and I think weddings are good not just for the participants but also to remind the witnesses what they're actually viewing--God's love in action.

|