Alpine Summit

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A Point to be Made

Lee, who I haven't been reading with any regularity, raises a good point with this article.

The Central Intelligence Agency did not target Al Qaeda chief Osama bin laden once as he had the royal family of the United Arab Emirates with him in Afghanistan, the agency's director, George Tenet, told the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks on the United States on Thursday.

Had the CIA targeted bin Laden, half the royal family would have been wiped out as well, he said.


How can Bush say there is no threat to our security here? Some have made the point that port security will still be the responsibility of the Coast Guard, but when we're talking about possible nuclear or biological weapons coming to this country, all that needs to happen is that it gets here. The detonation of these weapons can still cause major damage to the cities in question. That's assuming we would be able to check every container which certainly isn't the case.

My freind made the point last night that this seems to be some kind of back-scratching business deal between Bush and the UAE. It certainly seems that way and if it is indeed the case, it's politically stupid. I have to say I'm really not happy about this deal, and I'm certainly not happy with Bush.

"If there was any chance that this transaction would jeopardize the security of the United States, it would not go forward," the president said in a brief but firm statement on the White House South Lawn.

I think Bush forfeited his "trust me" line with the Harriet Miers nomination. If there is no reason for us to be concerned, then address the concerns being raised! For now, there IS a chance this jeopardizes our security as far as I can tell, and Bush needs to explain why I'm wrong if he wants me (or anyone else for that matter) to get behind him on this.

|