Alpine Summit

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Finally an Honest Liberal

(Via: Michelle Malkin) For once, I'm glad to see a liberal walking the talk. Plenty of people on the left have said "I oppose the war, but I support the troops." Presumably because "opposing the troops" is assumed (correctly) by all to be un-patriotic. As I've pointed out many times in the past, this is entirely dishonest. I'm glad to see a liberal actually acknowledge his loathing for any kind of selfless service to one's country, and his own selfishness.

I'm not advocating that we spit on returning veterans like they did after the Vietnam War, but we shouldn't be celebrating people for doing something we don't think was a good idea. All I'm asking is that we give our returning soldiers what they need: hospitals, pensions, mental health and a safe, immediate return. But, please, no parades.

Seriously, the traffic is insufferable.

If only more on the left were as honest as this guy. Michelle Malkin says Stein is the insufferable one in her post. With all due respect, Michelle, I think this is exactly the kind of honesty we need more of from the left in this country to illustrate it's true fundamental beliefs.

Of course, I'm wondering why our soldiers would need those services he's saying we should give to the troops if we never plan on using them. If we never use our troops, they would have no need for any of those services and, indeed, no reason to be in the military. I'm guessing he wants us to take care of those who have sacrificed for him, but do it in a grudging way.

UPDATE: Power Line has a copy of a transcript from a radio show interviewing Stein, lest we think (as some left blogs are claiming) that this is just humorist hyperbole. Taking an honest adherence to the left's viewpoint leads to these conclusions. So I guess they (lefties) are arguing that he is not honest, but just being funny. I guess people on the left would find the truth worth mocking for comedic value.

|