Alpine Summit

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Kwanzaa v. Christmas

(via: Michelle Malkin) La Shawn Barber posted a follow-up to a blog post she made earlier about Kwanzaa, and the dangers for black Christians to celebrate this holiday. She provides history to Kwanzaa, and I'm taking it on her authority that she's right. I would have liked more sources cited, but whatever. It's a great post and I thought since I'm around my computer for a few hours before continuing my vacation I would post this.

One thing I have noticed about religions that have been created in the past 2000 years, is that they have always without exception (in my experiences) included Jesus in their theology somewhere. The crazy "SciFi" religions out there like Unarius even acknowledge the "problem" of Jesus (he was an enlightened alien from another planet).

Scientology has been the least inclusive to Jesus in my opinion, but even though they think Jesus was a lie made up by Xenu to confuse the thetans, they still use an eight-point cross as their symbol for eight points of enlightenment. I imagine the more pronounced parts of the cross mean those points are more important though I've never heard them claim that. Hardly compelling evidence, but he's still mentioned and I'm merely pointing out the visual evidence of that.

I would go into this more, but I have things to do today before going home and I'd like to get on-topic again. First, I loved this quote from Hebrews that La Shawn put at the top of her first post:

“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines.” Hebrews 13:8;9

It's interesting because once again, we see the Bible perfectly predict what people will do when they decide to create their own religion--usually involving deifying man somehow. "Jesus was an alien...no, no... he was merely enlightened and wanted us to be as enlightened as him!" No matter what people's reinvention of Christ is, they can never get around the fact that, according the gospels they are usually drawing from, Jesus claimed to be God; which means as C.S. Lewis mentioned, that saying otherwise about him means that person thinks He was either a liar or a lunatic and in either case is really no authority at all.

It's also important to notice the inherent problem with these created religions that advocate the exclusivity of a certain group of people. Jesus NEVER spoke about an "us versus them," but that we are all equal in His eyes regardless of our skin color or national origin, etc. I think La Shawn Barber is right on target with her condemnation of this ritual.

It is impossible to have a culturally exclusive holiday based in Christianity. The faith, by its very nature, forbids it.

|