Alpine Summit

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

From the Horse's Mouth

Marine Major Ben Connable wrote an op-ed piece for the Washington Post and admonishes the moral cowards for their wrong-headed position on the Iraq war.

When I told people that I was getting ready to head back to Iraq for my third tour, the usual response was a frown, a somber head shake and even the occasional "I'm sorry." When I told them that I was glad to be going back, the response was awkward disbelief, a fake smile and a change of subject. The common wisdom seems to be that Iraq is an unwinnable war and a quagmire and that the only thing left to decide is how quickly we withdraw. Depending on which poll you believe, about 60 percent of Americans think it's time to pull out of Iraq.

How is it, then, that 64 percent of U.S. military officers think we will succeed if we are allowed to continue our work? Why is there such a dramatic divergence between American public opinion and the upbeat assessment of the men and women doing the fighting?


Why indeed, Major. My guess is perhaps some skewed reporting by the AP, Reuters, the New York Times, and Washington Post to name a few. Some would call this "bias," but that's being a little too truthful for them to accept, I think.

Read the whole column. It's a perspective straight from someone who has been there and back twice and reflects what I believe (as an "armchair academic") is really going on.

|