Alpine Summit

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

What I've Been Up To

To those of you who read my blog, I thought I would let you know about the career choice I've made yesterday. I've decided to join the Army. I'm going to start signing papers and getting the process started on Monday.

I'm hoping to join up as an officer. I'm not sure if I'll even get accepted, but I'm confident. Assuming I get an officer slot, I'll go to basic for 3 months then to officer candidate school (OCS). After that, I'll enter into the Army as a second lieutenant. I get 5 chances to choose different jobs around the Army before they just put me where they want me-- which is most likely going to be infantry. I'm still trying to find 5 things, but my first two choices are going to be Finance Corps, and Intelligence. I have a friend from my fraternity who is a tank commander; I've thought about that, too.

So, why would I join the Army? I'm sure my friends will wonder why, considering recent events. I've decided to do this because I've always felt a debt to my country and especially the military for all they have given me in my life. I was raised in the military, and my father has been saved more than once by the military. Also, as I've said before (maybe not here), the absolute best people of the highest character, whom I've met, are/were in the military. My dad shares this view with a few exceptions. I know it's a hard standard to live up to, but I'm going to do my best.

Another reason I've decided to join up is because of the career opportunities. I've looked through a few financial jobs in the private sector and the Fed (Federal Reserve Bank), and they are testaments to mediocrity. There really aren't any jobs where I want to be right out of college. The jobs I want demand at least 4-6 years of experience. All the entry-level stuff is boring. I think I'll find excitment in the Army. I realize I may not get finance corps and that I may get put into the infantry, but I'm not really worried.

Anyway, that's my big life choice and hopefully it will pan out. The recruiter is taking me for a physical in Denver at some point and is willing to get me in shape for this year. I'm finishing school in May, and hopefully going to basic training shortly after that. I'll keep you posted.

|