Alpine Summit

Monday, August 22, 2005

Sweet Sweet GLORIOUS Oil!

KesherTalk is plugging thermal depolymerization (TDP) today. I had never heard of this before, but once I read about it I got incredibly excited about it. This is one of those "first steps on the moon" sorts of advancements. Basically, you throw garbage (including infectious waste and refrigerators) in one end of a machine, and get purified water, oil, and gasoline out the other end. Sort of like Mr. Fusion from "Back to the Future," but it doesn't power stuff, it just provides the fuel for the power. This has really exciting prospects and, should it become more widespread than a couple of a plants, may provide for a good portion of domestic energy needs.

The only drawback seems to be that oil from TDP costs about $80/barrel right now while importing only costs $67. I imagine that could be made up somehow to lower the price per barrel and I have a few ideas, but I'd rather not say what they are just yet as I'm seriously considering using this as a business idea.

KesherTalk has a better summary of the whole thing and Google is a good source, too. To go straight to the horse's mouth, though, you can check out the company's website that owns the process here.

|