Alpine Summit

Monday, August 29, 2005

Same Old Thing, New Coat of Paint

I picked up the first edition of my University's student paper; the Branding Iron, and it has a message from the editor, Tony C. Yang. He writes:

Welcome back to school.

As you may have noticed, the Branding Iron has undergone a major renovation with the addition of a Monday issue, along with a new "The Arts" section and a beefed-up sports section.

With the recent spate of changes, the BI will remain as commited as ever to journalistic ethics and quality. My staff and I are going to do everything we can to report the facts and cover stories that matter to you.

Feel free to express your concerns or questions through a letter to the editor or through our new "Campus Voice" feature. We will strive to offer students, faculty and staff the best source of information on campus and community news.

"Okay," I thought, a new team a new BI. When will I learn? The three opinion pieces printed were; a campus story about how busy the police are this time of year, a piece on national institute of health's latest ethics decision about conflict of interest among researchers and companies, and finally a piece on how Iraq is like Vietnam. We'll see if they print a pro-Iraq piece tomorrow, but I seriously doubt it and so I'm not going to be holding my breath.

The next generation of MSM editors are off to a good (bad?) start it seems. Though, I guess it isn't surprising that he didn't say the opinion section was changing at all.

|