Alpine Summit

Friday, July 29, 2005

Naked Europeans Stick It to Us Americans

So yeah. This was weird to read about. I would say I'm speechless, but then I wouldn't be posting about it, would I? Ann Althouse commented about it too.

Most of those who showed up in little or no attire Friday opted for swimsuits, but a few hardy souls dared to bare more. Among them was Bettina Huth of Stuttgart, Germany, who roamed the exhibition wearing only sandals and a black bikini bottom.

Although she used a program at one point to shield herself from a phalanx of TV cameras, Huth, 52, said she didn't understand what all the fuss was about.

"I go into the steam bath every week, so I'm used to being naked," she said. "I think there's a double morality, especially in America. We lived in California for two years, and I found it strange that my children had to cover themselves up at the beach when they were only 3 or 4 years old. That's ridiculous."


Ridiculous like walking around a museum topless, but covering yourself up when there are cameras? Speaking of double morality... nevermind. The reason you had to cover your kids up was because there are a lot of sick people around and letting your kid run around naked is not only wrong, but possibly dangerous. Here's what Ann said about that same quote:

Oh, yeah, those terrible Americans. What hypocrites!

I'm amused by the way nudists flatter themselves, always claiming to be especially honest. But then they always say things that sound so disingenuous, that they are just being natural and why is everyone making such a fuss?

A great observation. Us hypocrite Americans with our "double morality" of "keep your private parts private." Public nudity is not beautiful, nor is it something I care to look at from day to day. Why? Because the people who would take advantage of such measures are middle-aged, fat, and/or unshapely. Quite frankly, I really don't care to see that. The only naked bodies I want to see are mine and my wife's (if I ever get one). Then there was this guy:

Mario Vorhemes, a 20-year-old Vienna resident who strode into the Leopold on Friday wearing nothing but a green and black Speedo, was nonchalant.

"What's the big deal?" he asked. "We're born naked into this world. Why can't we walk around in it without clothes from time to time?"


Yeah, we are born naked in this world, we're also born into this world crying, throwing up, crapping and pissing on ourselves. Why don't we just continue to do that? Because we grow and mature as we get older and part of that growth and maturity includes being humble, the greatest example of that is being clothed. Now put your clothes back on and go find a job, hippie.

|